Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Urban Buildings - Can't have too many of these eh?

So in digging around for pics to post of some of my older buildings, I am really starting to see the progress of my building skills, and more importantly I am seeing all the little ways I would do it differently/better now.  That gives me hope that there is in fact progress in my goal to build better and more dynamic terrain.

These pieces I built over a year ago and they were mostly just experimenting with foamboard and corrugated cardboard.  I wanted a construction site feel to these pieces and this was the first time I had ever played with the wire mesh.


The set was pretty slapdash by my standards now, but the pieces are rock solid and have served me well in many, many games.  If I would ever do them over, I would base them on MDF or CD bases, because that foamboard tends to warp when glue is applied for flocking.  I realize I haven't been showing many WIP pics thus far and I think that is beneficial, so I will try to do that better from now on.

This "Set" is scattered across several of my buddies houses.  I took it upon myself to be the initial provider of terrain for our games as I was super eager to play.  I figured I needed to give my friends some incentive to invite me over to play, because at the time, I lacked a suitable place and a table.  That has since been rectified, but for the nearly 6 months I lacked playing quarters, I did my best to fill 3 separate basements with terrain.  If you ask those same buddies, I bet they would say they were getting sick of me depositing my latest project after each game.  I don't think any of them built their own terrain at all, and as the best part of this game/hobby for me was playing on a cinematic and detailed table, I made it my mission to constantly bring a new picture with me when I played.  Even if that was only 1 or 2 new pieces a game.  When we would round up a big group of us, I would really try to make an effort, and bring a whole set of new shiny terrain.




















No comments:

Post a Comment