Saturday, December 7, 2013

Speaking of Crystals... More Crystals anyone? Now in BLUE!

I have a buddy that plays Dark Eldar.  Haven't played him in a while, so I thought...it worked in Field of Dreams, why not here... so I built it, and... well I figured I had to show it off at least before getting to play a game with it.

Now that the set is done, I can see I really need more line of sight blocking material, so a set of hills will be in the works shortly for this set.  But here it is.  The idea behind this was to show the corruptible power that the Dark Eldar inflicts on the very earth they reside in.  I started with a rigid, much more natural looking set of crystals and go through the corruption process to really see the warping effects on the more complex pieces.  Made from blue foam mounted on CD bases.  I went with the dark crystal with a blue glow highlight to match my friends paint scheme.

Expansion plans for this set are pretty exciting too.  This set goes perfectly on the Ashen/Stone mat as you can see, and as this set is mostly small/medium pieces, a few centerpiece structures would be good.  I imagine a web-way portal, a very spiky landing platform, and some tall spiky towers to go with the current pieces seamlessly.  





Dark Crystal Set:
 Really rough cut, more natural looking crystals.  These I could feasibly see but as you look closer you can already see the bent shapes, the crooked growth.  
 You can see how the edges smooth out and get sharper as we go along here.



 The Glow on these isn't as bright as the pictures are showing here, I swear.  I will show some pics at the end with a more well lit room, and you will see what I mean.  Off camera, the glow is much more faint.  



 At least here is a shot that shows the dry-brushing on these isn't just crazy.  You can see the hue on the set is mostly black, with just an edge of blue to it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment