Monday, December 9, 2013

Hills and teaching yourself how not to do them.

My very first foray into making terrain, like many others I am sure was to make a set of hills.  At the time I thought I was super slick and the hills I made would be game changing.  Oh how quickly that illusion was shattered.  I thought it would be simple enough to top single level hills with the matching AstroTurf mat that the table used, and it would be done in an hour.  Having completed the set, and looking back, I see just how uncaring of the details I was and just how much more I wanted to rush the build to get to play with it instead of making it great. 





Version 2 of the hills was much more planned and detail oriented.  I was sure to make a wide variety of shapes, elevations and nooks/crannies to hide in.  Made out of 1" Blue Foam and painted/flocked.  I used the scrap technique on the foam to give it the edging.  Couldn't be easier, but wow what a mess!

Future plans for more hills include a set for the Ash/Stone mat, and glacier type hills for the Arctic set.

Hills 2.0:










No comments:

Post a Comment