Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Battlemats - Change up your battlefield!

Tired of an inter-galactic scale war that is fought on the same planet with the same look battle after battle?  Me Too!!!

I kinda teased about the post topic earlier, but I thought I would showcase the mats I have made thus far.  Mostly I got sick of playing game after game on that boring field of generic green turf, and I disliked the seam in the middle of my table.  As the table is modular and divides in half, mats were a simple solution to seamlessly change that up.

I can't believe how easy these were to make, and I highly recommend them.  For ~$22 per mat, you can make some really interesting boards that will go with you very easily.  When you are done, I simply roll them up around a cardboard tube, or PVC pipe.





Each are done on Duck Cloth or Painter's Tarp, covered in acrylic caulking in thin layers and then airbrushed/sealed.  I used the tutorial on MiniWarGaming.com.  Originally created by DIY Battlemats.

Video Tutorial:



Current Battlemats:
Icy/Cloud



Desert



Ash/Stone






Grassland


Don't worry, I will give each set of terrain their own showcase and dedicated post, I just wanted to group these all together to show them off first.  If you have a little cash, and are willing to put in a little elbow grease, you can make these mats very easily and relatively cheaply.  My future mat plans will include at least 2 more sets.  I want a very vibrant green mat for a jungle or lush forest type setting and a lava mat with seams of active magma flowing through cracks and crags of rock.  

No comments:

Post a Comment