Thursday, December 5, 2013

Sacrificial Altar / Chaos Warpgate

So a few months back, I participated in a monthly terrain building contest on Miniwargaming.com.  The monthly theme was Harmony/Despair.  We were supposed to use that theme to create whatever terrain we wanted, and users would vote on the best representation of the theme.  As I play Chaos primarily, I wanted to build a themed piece of terrain that would look good, and fit my armies.  This was a month or 2 before the new Daemons codex dropped, and I had no idea how fluffy it would end up being totally by coincidence.

As the theme was Harmony/Despair, I wanted to take a piece of terrain that looked completely in harmony with it's surroundings and make it completely turned to the dark side and forever more used only for evil purposes.  It starts with a fairly normal color palette of slate grays and earth tones.  Only the corrupting effects spoil the otherwise mostly natural setting.





I built a sacrificial altar to the Chaos Gods.  It also doubles as a Warp Portal.  Made out of Foam-board/Polystyrene and the pillars were originally worked in foam, but I set those up and replaced them with thicker ones made from cork-board.  In my usual theme this terrain is very modular.  Each of the pillars can be easily removed and the gate can be removed as well as showing an open/closed warp portal.  With the Altar I made a few sets of steps that fit the theme and even did a few sets of green crystals.  In my head they are the source of the gates power when the altar has nothing sacrificial to power it.

Chaos Altar/Warp-gate:
As I mentioned, I re-did the pillars.  These were the first incarnation, and as you can see, they are just too tiny.  
Pillars v2.0

Shot of the stairs that connect to the crystal sets.
Very well used Altar.  
Each of the pillars has a bit of a chaos feel to it.  There are 8 total, and 4 of the pillars are dedicated to each of the Chaos Gods.


The Warp-Gate has double sided doors and each side has the icon of one of the gods of chaos.  




And what happens when you go knock knock knocking on Heaven's The Warp's door?



No comments:

Post a Comment