Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Winter Trees

I was really lucky this winter season.  I acquired some trees from a former railroad hobbyist... THANKS DAD....and along with a few other supplies, I decided to go whole hog and create a set of trees for the Arctic setup I have.  I hadn't really fleshed out that set at all yet, so I was looking forward to getting something on the mat for an arctic setup, instead of just the cloud idea I have already.  These came together over a weekend, and I decided to make some, and use all of the winter trees I had been given.  All together 16 CD bases of arctic, tree filled goodness.
The tall trees are done with wooden skewers, that I sized up to 5-6" each, and the branches are odd cut shapes of scrub mats that I got from a former employee at work.  Poke a hole in the cut out shapes... hot glue down the painted skewer, and then top with snow.  For snow I happened to have a very dated diorama kit and just used the snow packet for it, but you could use anything.  A quick matte seal coat over the top and boom... trees for almost nothing.  If you had to buy everything yourself still under $20, less if you don't get the fake conifer trees.  For me... nothing says better than cheap.













No comments:

Post a Comment