Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Bugs - The Infestation Continues (Work in Progress Shots)


I realize it's been another long stretch since I have updated, but doing hordes of bugs systematically is time consuming.

It was requested by a friend to show some pics in progress, and as I needed a break, and wanted to take some time out from tedious painting to show I actually have been making some progress.

Paint steps thus far after the jump along with many more close up shots.



Step order:

Skin

  1. Base coat light yellow (Vallejo Sand Ochre)
  2. Wash with a thin brown (GW Agrax Earthshade thinned to 50%)
  3. Wash in spots under armor plates with flesh tone shade (GW Reikland Fleshtone)
  4. Fill in flesh areas in joints and under armor plating with patterning (I used a Black Micron Pen)
Armor Plating for Blue Plates

  1. Base coat dark blue (Vallejo Midnight Blue)
  2. Wash with a thin blue shade (GW Drakenhoe Nightshade)
  3. Streak with a mid-tone blue (GW Enchanted Blue)
  4. Highlight ends with a light blue (GW Lothern Blue)
Armor Plating for Flesh Plates

  1. Base coat bone white (GW Ushtabi Bone)
  2. Wash with a very thin sepia (GW Sepia Tone)
  3. Streak with a bone white (GW Ushtabi Bone)
  4. Highlight ends with white (GW White Scar)
I will go in to much more detail for the flesh plating big models, but this is remember... work in progress.  

Pic Dump:



You can see in these few close up shots the patterning under the armor plates really helps to blend the armor to the flesh tones.  Creates a clear divide but pops out the contours of flesh against the more brittle armor.










Gotta say, really glad my buddy did the work and magnetized the Hive Tyrant along with a few of the other big models.  Comes apart for easy storage and gives me all the load out choices.



Currently all of the tiny models are fully through the blue plate steps.  All 140+ of the horde is at least this far along.  Typing that.. wow makes me finally see how much progress has been made.  Detail work is going faster, but I'd say I'm still only about 60% done.  Of course it's just in time for all of these wacky new releases, but I plan on finishing what I have completely before adding anything else.  

Still to do:
Details on Weapons
Patterning on the armor of the medium and big bugs.
Slobber effects
Gore
Bases


1 comment:

  1. I really like the work you've done with the carapace line highlights and the subtle dots under neath. Adds a lot of character.

    Liking the scheme as well. If I had any suggestion, it would be to find a brighter pink highlight for the tongue bits, to make them pop a bit more.

    ReplyDelete