Thursday, January 9, 2014

"Classic", "Vintage" just plain old crap... First attempt at Hills

I think I keep saying things like.. "My first terrain was X..."  Well folks, I lied this right here was actually what started it ALL.  I did these up in an afternoon orgy of burning foam smell and inhaling super glue fumes, and have been building terrain ever since.  As you can see, I had no clue what I was doing, and even so managed some not entirely terrible hills.  Hey they are functional, and when painted, made a semi-reasonable playing surface to match my table top at the time.  Having done a few sets of hills since, I see all the little things I did wrong here, but for now, just enjoy the blast from the past, and try to learn from my mistakes.  Pics comparing the old set to newer ones after the jump.


As you can see this set was made from white foam and topped with a "battlemat" surface from Scenic Landscapes.  The plan at the time was to make a few hills that could be configured into different shapes, and could potentially be used for multiple levels.  I made the mistake of using 2" foam instead of 1" so the hills are more elevation than I wanted, but they work reasonably well.









Just to compare sets, here is a new set of hills.  Yes there is difference in paint, but the style and detail is completely different.  I didn't mind the old set of hills... they were functional, but not at all a visual for me, so I needed to re-work them until they were to my satisfaction.  





No comments:

Post a Comment