Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Head in the Clouds

I re-watched the original Star Wars trilogy a few weeks back.  For the most part, it was background noise while I was building... the usual.  Then Empire came on, and the Cloud city on the Planet Bespin came up when Lando sabotaged Han and Leia.  I happened to look up when the ship was landing and saw the huge cloud-scape layout, and wondered if I could do something like that and realized I was already setup to do it.

I cobbled this first phase of this set together in a single night of playing around and building, and quickly realized not only could I do this... I had all the parts to do it for no additional cost!!  My dream build.  This couldn't have come together more easily, and when played out on the Icy Mat I have, the clouds absolutely POP.  I will do a follow up with how they look with the platforms and catwalk setup I have, but I just had to post these while they are still drying.  I laid them out and  couldn't be happier with them.  Easy big lumps of puffy clouds that make for PERFECT line of sight blockers, and impassable terrain.  They will compliment the Arctic set when that gets rolling as big snowy hills as well.

Made from Blue Foam, cut into random shapes, some in a few levels, and then a layer of glue followed by Poly-Fill Fiber.  I happened to have purchased a bag of this over a year ago thinking it was something else, and it landed in the closet of possible build materials.  I thought when building them that the blue foam would show through on spots, and in fact it does... but when it is on the mat, it is a perfect blend for the blues on the mat itself, so I think it works well.  Follow the jump for a few more shots.





















No comments:

Post a Comment